Sunday 7 October 2012

Final findings.


We've made it! For my final blog post I thought that I would find one material for each subject I chose using different search methods.

Mitchell, S. 2004, Gilgamesh : a new English version, Free Press, New York.

coverSo my first item is a book about the clay tablets Gilgamesh; I found this item by using the State library of Victoria's catalogue. I headed to their website and typed in 'clay tablets'; I used those keywords as I thought I would have better results. There were plenty of materials to choose from but this particular item caught my eye as it had a thumbnail on the search results.
I thought this book would be a good choice as it has very detailed information about the tablets and their history.




ipl 2012, Dead Sea scrolls 2012, The Orion Center, viewed 1st October 2012, <http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il/>


For my second item I will be using the Internet Public Library which is an online ready reference tool and I will be searching the Dead sea scrolls. I first of all went to the Internet Public Library website and typed in the search bar 'Dead sea scrolls'. The first result was pretty much the best result you could get, the description basically said 'if you're studying the scrolls, then this is the website for you.' The website offers a vast range of information about the scrolls and I thought it was a great addition for those who wish to know more about them.



Yahoo 2012, the original alphabet podcast, the psych files, viewed 1st October 2012, <http://www.thepsychfiles.com/2009/05/episode-96-video-mnemonics-advanced-the-pegword-system-part-2/>


My third item I will be researching  the spread of the original alphabet and its adaptation by various people around the world; and I will be using Yahoo which is another search engine to find a podcast. I first of all went to the Yahoo website and typed in the search bar 'the original alphabet podcast' and the podcast was one of the top results. I thought the podcast would be a good addition as there is somebody explaining the alphabet to you which tends to work better for some people. 



The New York Times Company 2012, Papyrus scrolls, About, viewed 1st October 2012, <http://ancienthistory.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nathanielturner.com%2Fwritinghistory.htm>



And lastly is the Papyrus scrolls as library materials and I will be using About.com which is a subject directory. I firstly went to the website About.com and typed into the search bar 'Papyrus scrolls'. The results were a little bit confusing, but I ended up choosing the first one. This took me to another page where I could choose from various other subject on the Papyrus scrolls; I ended up going with the second result as it mentioned libraries. I was once again whisked away to yet another page that offered quite a details description about the scrolls and their origins. I thought this page was perfect as it gives people an opportunity to further research the scrolls in detail. 

The difficulties this week was once again very minimal, the only trouble I really had was finding a good source from About.com's search results, but it only took an extra couple of minutes to work out. 
The final conclusion, I think I have quite a good run with finding relevant search results using a range of methods. I do need to work on how quickly I can return the results to a customer. 


  • Week 2 was the website for clay tablets and a YouTube video regarding Gilgamesh tablets.
  • Week 3 was the book about The Dead Sea scrolls and a short YouTube video about them.
  •  Week 4 was the subject directory page about the spread of the original alphabet and its adaptation by various peoples around the world. 
  • Week 5 was the two items from Britannica and the podcast about the book of the dead. 
  • Week 6 we have the book on Gilgamesh, the website about the Dead Sea scrolls, the podcast about the original alphabet and the website about the Papyrus scrolls. 


Thanks for reading!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment